Anyone help a friend out?

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
I have a staples mailmate that I'm trying to get apart because it was DOA. If I get lucky I'll reuse it for filament making. But I want to know how to fix it first.
The picture you see here is a screw in the mailmate shredder underside. I don't know how to fix this since this is the first crazy time something like this happened.

Attachments

• IMG_20240822_001131679.jpg
    IMG_20240822_001131679.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 19

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried to google "Staples Mailmate" to find a manual and get some info about the shredder, but there are more models. So what is the model name/type number please?

It is difficult for me to tell what your photo shows. Is it a broken plastic screw that you want to remove? Or is it a tamper proof seal that must be removed to give access to a screw?

Could the shredder be dead because of thermal overload? Maybe a thermal fuse could be reset or replaced?

I have a shredder for home use and it is marked with 3 minutes operating time and 60 minutes non operating time. That is a very low duty cycle, certainly not for heavy duty office use. I have ruined a cheap shredder by overload. It started slowing down and emit a burned smell. It had no thermal protection, so I immediately stopped using it and dumped it.

Last edited:

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
Sorry it's a staples shredder mailmate spl727mm. It's the one where it can do credit cards CDs and staples including paper.
The picture I sent is the broken screw AFTER I removed the rubber feet from the bottom. I tried several times to remove it with other screwdrivers I had no luck.
I would like to say the fuse has blown on it considering it was smelly when I first got it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry it's a staples shredder mailmate spl727mm.
I got a Lervia shredder in Lidl many years ago and it has lasted despite me putting hundreds of sheets through it, it takes two to three A4 sheets at a time and never complains, and best of all it didn’t brake the bank..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe this instruction will be helpful?

Special tools for removing broken screws are available, but maybe too expensive if you need to buy them for this job?

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
I got a Lervia shredder in Lidl many years ago and it has lasted despite me putting hundreds of sheets through it, it takes two to three A4 sheets at a time and never complains, and best of all it didn’t brake the bank..
It's ok if I don't have a paper shredder. I can burn them for kindling outside.

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
Maybe this instruction will be helpful?

Special tools for removing broken screws are available, but maybe too expensive if you need to buy them for this job?
I used that article I was doing my research, for documenting on how to fix it. It was the closest thing to my answer for dissembly.
Would I have to use a drill that is 6inchs or more to remove it?