An update on the chip / Printer control

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have tried this experiment which I have mentioned earlier in thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5925&p=1

I filled the yellow CLI-8 cartridge (chipped) just before the low ink warning appeared (1/8) left in reservoir but didnt reset the cartridge.

Then I continued on printing and changed cyan, magenta, and pigment black as they in turn ran out of ink, filled and reset them.

I watched carefully the usage on the yellow cartridge and when it showed half full, I stopped the printer and refilled it again.

I finished out the print job and the yellow cartridge had only a little bit of the ink remaining in the reservoir.

So from the time I start monitoring this cartridge I reckon I have used 20ml. of ink thats two full cartridges worth and did not have to reset the chip.

In conclusion I would say that the chip does not have any part to play in ink monitoring till the optical sensor eider indicates a low or empty warning.

If someone else can try this idea out on the smaller cartridges and see if it works on those, I cant see this working on cartridges which dont have an optical sensor.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
I filled the yellow CLI-8 cartridge (chipped) just before the low ink warning appeared (1/8) left in reservoir but didnt reset the cartridge.
1) What does "(1/8) left in reservoir" mean?

2) How do you know you were "just before the low ink tank warning appeared"?

3) Why did you chose the Yellow cartridge, and, have you tried this experiment on other colors?

An interesting conclusion which contradicts early experiments with CLI-8 cartridges as noted on this forum. Wonder if others can replicate your results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman

(1) 1/8 left, means there was just a dribble of ink left in the reservoir.
(2) Ink Low, it would have being only a matter of another 2 dozen prints and the printer would have thrown up the low warning.
(3) Yellow cartridge, it had the smallest amount of ink left in it, no other reason.

To finish off on your last comment, I dont think earlier experiments were done this way; they were done after the low ink warning was flagged on the cartridges if I am not mistaken.

The idea I had came from ghwellsjr, it was he who got me thinking would this work, and I was as much surprised to see that the printer ignored the chip and carried on because I taught it would stop too.
I intend trying out this idea again this time with the magenta as it will be the next cartridge to be refilled..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat:

By "reservoir" do you mean the spongeless compartment?

I have thought that the low ink flag was the point that the chip's nozzle firing count, or whatever is the criteria, took over monitoring. I also thought that someone had tried what you did, but maybe not.

If your findings are a constant, then the top hole refill method for the new opaque cartridges while in the print head would be an easy workaround for this type of cartridge which also has no resetter yet.

I hope you keep refilling the Yellow in this fashion while testing out other cartridges to see if there is any end point on the recognition of that cartridge.

Question: What happens to Yellow's ink level monitoring when you refill? Does it reset or stay the same?

Your experiment may lead to a revival of top hole refilling if it works in the latest models of Canon.

Good work so far, The Hat. Keep going, brother!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman By "reservoir" do you mean the spongeless compartment?

Question: What happens to Yellow's ink level monitoring when you refill? Does it reset or stay the same?
The reservoir is the other half of the cartridge where you would top fill from.
I intend keeping the yellow cartridge topped up for as long as it takes to see if there is any change in the inks behaviour.
The ink monitoring on the yellow cartridge never moves at all, it stays the same the whole time just under half full so its essential to keep a good eye on the level in the cartridge during this trail... :)

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
If your findings are a constant, then the top hole refill method for the new opaque cartridges while in the print head would be an easy workaround for this type of cartridge which also has no resetter yet.
I put the 'filling in situ' proposal in this link.
It was shot down as being too messy.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1388

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just a thought but given that I spent quite a while using converted OEM cartridges in home brew CIS systems and eventually hit the "empty!" message I'd say the chip is still involved although the printer errs on the side of caution before some form of sanity checking identifies the ink level as being erroneous and decides there must be a problem.

... and yes, for a while I was able to get a CIS working... just not for as long as I wanted is all ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
stratman By "reservoir" do you mean the spongeless compartment?
The Hat said:
The reservoir is the other half of the cartridge where you would top fill from.
Are you posting from the pub? :p

To clarify, the reservoir is:

A) The compartment with the sponge

OR,

B) The compartment without the sponge?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jackson said:
stratman said:
I put the 'filling in situ' proposal in this link.
It was shot down as being too messy.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1388
Yes, there is increased risk of making a mess, especially with shakey hands or taking too long to finish and the printhead parks itself in mid refill. But it is do-able.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
Just a thought but given that I spent quite a while using converted OEM cartridges in home brew CIS systems and eventually hit the "empty!" message I'd say the chip is still involved although the printer errs on the side of caution before some form of sanity checking identifies the ink level as being erroneous and decides there must be a problem.

... and yes, for a while I was able to get a CIS working... just not for as long as I wanted is all ;)
My recall of these discussions years ago were that the cartridges were eventually marked as empty. If this is the case, and I believe it is, The Hat will experience it sooner or later.