Stylus Photo 1400. To clear out of ink error, which cartridges to replace?

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Hi all:

I have acquired a Stylus Photo 1400. The ink button is flashing red, indicating ink needs replacing. Will this error clear and will I be able to print black if I just replace the black cartridge, or do I have to replace all the ones that are low/empty? Again, I only need to print black.

Also, I'm seeing two different reports about ink levels in two different dialog boxes. They were done only a few minutes apart, and no pages were printed during this time.

Which one do I assume is correct, and which one do I ignore?
Why does this happen?

2024-07-24 Ink Levels-Low Ink Reminder.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• 2024-07-24 Ink Levels-Epson Status Monitor 3.jpg
    2024-07-24 Ink Levels-Epson Status Monitor 3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You see a low ink reminder telling you to replace the marked cartridges which will go empty pretty soon - 'You may continue printing' as the Low ink reminder states but the screen requesting to replace yellow and light magenta came just a few inkdrops later , and you cannot continue printing at this time anymore - you need to replace them.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks.
The printer is printing blank pages. However, the status monitor doesn't show the black cartridge as empty. Could the nozzle be clogged? I acquired this printer from someone else, so I have no idea how long it's been since it printed.

I want to test it, but don't want to buy ink unless there's a good chance it will print (black). What do you suggest?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You aquired the printer but didn't the seller tell you what the actual status is of the printer ? Blank pages can mean several things - all nozzles are blocked - or the cartridges ran out of ink or there is another malfunction with the printer e.g. from prior repair attempts .You definitely need a full set of cartridges to test the printout - that can be Epson cartridges or 3rd party cartridges by another supplier .

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I didn't buy it-I got it for free. So, I need all cartridges just to test black printing? I don't need to print in colour (yet)?

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Epson support rep. said I need to replace all cartridges before testing printing in black only. I'm wary about buying a whole bunch of cartridges, even cheap ones, and possibly finding out the printer doesn't work or just needed the nozzles cleaned.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The Epson support rep. said I need to replace all cartridges before testing printing in black only
The 1400 is a color printer - not a b/w - monochrome printer, it needs all cartridges to print. It's up to you whether and how much you want to invest into a printer with an unknown status.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay, thanks. I ordere some ink and hopefully it will work once I get it.

I guess I was just trying to say that not all colour printers are like that. My two ancient Canons never need colour ink to print black.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If the normal cleaning cycle of the printer does not help to unclog the nozzles with the new cartridges you may do some flushing of the nozzles, there are plenty youtube videos posted showing how to do that like this one, this method works for most 4 or 6 color printers except some photoprinters on which the cartridges connect to the printhead via foam pads.

bplaman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
You can continue printing. The yellow triangle means only a low level, but does not prohibit printing. When instead there is a red circle with a cross, then you will not be able to print.