Setting windows xp scheduler to print test pages

imcnab

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have been advised that printing one nozzle check page per day on my epson artisan 50 would be a good way to maintain it between print jobs (often several days idle).

Please can anyone tell me how to set up windows xp so that it will schedule one printer nozzle check each day ? This would be useful when I'm out of town on business. I guess it should be possible somehow using windows XP scheduler and the epson printer software, but I'm out of my depth.

Thanks again.... imcnab

imcnab

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Unfortunately the excellent suggestions pointed to by the link don't work for me.
My printer software is too smart. It see's the printer is paused, and says there is a communications problem. NO files are sent to the spool, so no file is stored that I can use.

Any further suggestions most gratefully received.

thanks... imcnab

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
imcnab..
You could try leaving your printer switch on ..

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Go to www.inksupply.com and search for Autoprint. It's under support. It's a program that will print a pattern of your choice on a schedule you set. Works quite well.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Can you open the folder at C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS, initiate the nozzle check, then grab the .spl file before the printer completes.

imcnab

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Jackson,
Thanks for the thought, but no, I can't. No file is ever visible under /spool/PRINTERS while the nozzle check is completed.
Perhaps epson have the page built in to the printer, rather than in software. That might explain why the driver refuses to do the check while the print queue is paused.

Any further thoughts?

best regards.. imcnab

imcnab

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thankyou Billkunert.
I have the program and it works fine.
imcnab

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
imcnab said:
Dear Jackson,
Thanks for the thought, but no, I can't. No file is ever visible under /spool/PRINTERS while the nozzle check is completed.
Perhaps epson have the page built in to the printer, rather than in software. That might explain why the driver refuses to do the check while the print queue is paused.

Any further thoughts?

best regards.. imcnab
If it is going to the Spooler, then you can change the Printer Properties to keep the spooler files (they won't be erased).
This works on My Canon and HP printers.

ayr6dj.jpg

imcnab

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Jackson,

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid my printer software does not give any control over the spool (it is obvious that yours does from your images.).

Any further thoughts?

best... imcnab