Replacement for Canon Pixma iP4700

John Dalton

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement for my Canon Pixma iP4700 which appears to be about to give up the ghost. A bit of googling came up with the Canon Pixma iP4850 as the successor to the now-obsolete iP4700. As the iP 4700 only cost me about £80 and the iP4850 is listed at £225 on Amazon, all I can say is, "You cannot be serious!"

My requirements are:

1) Printing on printable DVDs is essential.

2) A similar performance to the iP4700, if possible.

3) Preferably not more than £100, but I could stretch a little higher.

4) Ability to print on 160gsm card. I never had any problems with the iP4700, or my previous iP4300, so I know it's perfectly possible.

5) I'd prefer a plain printer, not one of those printer/copier/scanner devices - I have a Canon scanner that serves me perfectly. In fact, as the device will probably have to fit into a limited space under my computer desk, I'd prefer nothing that might make the device larger than the iP4700.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you can get a Pixma iP4850 then by all means get one because all the newer Canon printers will not suite your needs at all and it’s the nearest to the 4700 as you going to get, forget about the price it’s worth it !

Most of the new lower end Canon printer are extremely cheap to buy but are very costly to run, for instance a new set of cartridges will cost as much again as the printer itself.