Replace a Canon mp780 . . . where to recycle and what to buy

andrewfd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My Canon mp780 most likely has a purge pad that needs cleaning out but it seems like a serious task to do so. I would like to sell the printer to someone who is willing to do it and bring the printer back into use. Hate the idea of landfill!!

Does anyone know where I could send it in the UK?

Also, what would people recommend replacing it with. I need

- Colour printing
- Duplex
- Scanning
- Copying
- Home use, not much printing done
- Low energy and able to survive weeks of non use without inks clogging

- Useful but not essential to have fax facility too.

- Budget is upto 150 but ideally below 100.

Thanks for recommendations

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Why do you think your purge pad needs cleaning? Did the printer give you a warning of some kind or did it just quit working?

I cannot recommend any of the new printers but I would recommend keeping your eyes open for a used MX850 which is similar to the MP780 except it is twice as fast and allows you to copy two-sided originals on to two-sided copies. Of the printers with chipped cartridges, it has the easiest cartridges to refill and they hold more ink than the newer models.

andrewfd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Why do you think your purge pad needs cleaning? Did the printer give you a warning of some kind or did it just quit working?

I cannot recommend any of the new printers but I would recommend keeping your eyes open for a used MX850 which is similar to the MP780 except it is twice as fast and allows you to copy two-sided originals on to two-sided copies. Of the printers with chipped cartridges, it has the easiest cartridges to refill and they hold more ink than the newer models.
Well, I cleaned the head and it was ok for a bit, but then started blurring and colours missing. So I bought a new head and it was fine for a bit and then same thing happened. I figure the head returns to the purge unit and picks up dried up gunky ink and blocks it each time. I could be wrong, it's just my theory. However, I think getting into the machine and trying to clean out is going to need a lot of delicate dismantling.

Not into the idea of buying a second hand machine as chances are it will need some maintenance in the near future.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Well, if that is what the problem is, you might be able to fix it with very little effort, just by depositing some window cleaner or just plain water on the purge pads and doing a cleaning cycle followed by a nozzle check. Here is a thread where we're helping someone with a similar problem. Do you want to give it a try?

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Your should consider the possibility of a problem with your cartridges. Are you using OEM cartridges? You said colors were missing. That tells something is blocking up the nozzles. If the pad of the purge unit has a lot of ink on it this could cause this problem. So filling it with Windex probably won't solve it. If the ink won't go away adding whatever fluid over won't make it go away either. You have a good reason to suspect the purge unit. It should suck the ink away from the pad with just one cleaning cycle. The reason I suspect your cartridges is if one of them leaks it floods the pad. So next time you print there is ink on the surface of the print head. This may be why you are missing colors.

One of my MP780 is about 6 years old now. I never had a problem with the purge unit. Not a single problem. It's on a 2nd print head now. Lost the first one a year ago. The printer said Wrong Cartridge all the time. After replacing with a new print head problem gone. Other than that never a single purge unit issue.

andrewfd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for this help guys. I will have another go at fixing per the methods on this forum.

Out of interest, is the general move to fix old printers because:

A) we like recycling and don't like spending money; OR
B) we think all the new printers are rubbish or too expensive?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's because we don't like spending lots of money on OEM ink cartridges and the newer printers are not only not as well made as the older ones, they are decidedly more difficult to re-ink.

andrewfd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Anyone interested in buying my Canon MP780 then? (near London, UK)? ;-)