PRO-10 (and PRO-300) CO consumption reduction - read on

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The PRO-10 I bought used (with <100 pages) almost 5 years ago is now at 2750, mostly A4.
Including nozzle checks, cleaning etc counting 1ml/page that should make about 3l of ink or 300ml/colour.
This seems to be confirmed by my purchases over the years.
(I print every 2 weeks or so and shut down the printer between, and need to do - except big print jobs - a full ink set swap - where not all colours are empty - every 2 or 3 months).

To avoid extreme hoarding behaviour I try to keep a stock of 125ml/colour, good for about 2 years printing (more for GY and CO).

Since my 8oz (240ml) Signature Edition CO from Precisioncolors.com is below that, and from own experience and what I heard this seems to be the only valid replacement - but sadly with too high shipping costs to Europe - I ordered a Canon PFI-1100CO cart (160ml) at 123inkt.be (at €91 57ct/ml not very cheap but less than the €1/ml for PGI-72CO carts).
They called me back proposing their own version at about €160 for 700ml.
Despite their guarantee to replace it if I wasn't satisfied (I missed the opportunity to test it, sorry guys) I insisted on the genuine ink.

READ ON

I print most on glossy, luster and semi-gloss and I observed that on many papers CO is not always necessary (when you use genuine Lucia EX inks or 3th party with equivalent gloss).

I use CO setting auto (seldom auto).
This is fine when you avoid parts with no ink at all. It can easily be done by reducing the clipped parts in the image from 255 to 254 or 253 (see example in LR):

Tone curve.jpg

BUT the PRO-10 (and the PRO-300) have also a - seldom mentioned - CUSTOM CO setting that allows you to suppress CO altogether on all paper types.

As explained in the attached pages of the manual you need to create a "Form file" for every page size you want to print (including margin size).
These are in fact masks for CO.
So if you make a full black jpg and send ("print") it to the printer for example A4 no CO will be applied when you select the 'full A4' form you made.

In my experience for a lot of print jobs CO does not add significant value and thus the use can be reduced.

Attachments

• Changing the Clear Coating Settings.pdf
    291.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I ordered a Canon PFI-1100CO cart (160ml) at 123inkt.be (at €91 57ct/ml not very cheap but less than the €1/ml for PGI-72CO carts).
I have used 123.inks in several of my printers will no ill effects what so ever, both pigment and dye preformed very well, but I have never tested them for longevity..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have used 123.inks in several of my printers will no ill effects what so ever, both pigment and dye preformed very well, but I have never tested them for longevity..
Well, I missed the opportunity then ;).

OTH I once bought their PRO-9500 replacements and sent them back immediately.
Also saw several times printers for sale completely messed up by their inks.
This for sure also was due to the badly built 3th party carts.

Anyway, maybe I never will need 700ml of CO anymore, so I preferred to pay less for shure results in the near future.

PS: their turnover and margin is much bigger selling me 700ml noname inkt for €160 than 160ml Canon for €91 where they have to go under the official price.

Last edited: