Interesting New Printers from Epson Part2

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3406&p=2

was initially when I spotted these printers and saw some potential.

Well I have put one of these Artisan 700/800/710/810 through some testing.

Let me say this. Sometimes, a manufacturer can offer something very good but initially only puts out good enough for the time being. I think this printer is the aftermath of good enough. In other words I will call this the second generation.

The amount of nozzles that this thing has was not apparent to me. Well, for an Epson it has a lot.
I had also commented on the potential speed of this printer and it pretty much lives up to it.

So why am I calling this second generation? Because it appears to be the second generation of how Claria dye based inks are used.

The first generation would include the R260, R380, RX580, R280, RX595,RX680 and the wider bodies SPR1400. These all can share the same printer profiles and run the same engine for color.

The Artisan 700/800/710/810 uses the same identical inkset BUT now uses an improved engine. Same inks BUT the color rendering engine is significantly enhanced.

How much? on the first generation I would say that the color was perhaps just a shade behind the Canon Pro 9000. With the new engine, I'll say it is at least equal to it now if not superior. Yes, these are wild claims but I also own a Pro9000 and as early as yesterday, I considered it the best dye ink printer. The advantage of the Pro 9000 is that it can print 13" wide. The Artisan 700/800 cannot.

I'll go further and openly admit that I was mixing up a pigment inkset for use with the first generation and I considered it a success. My objective was to obtain output using pigments without custom ICC profiles comparable to profiled output with dye inks. It's a tall target and I think I succeeded.

Using this same custom inkset I made on the Artisan 700/800 series yields even better output. The output is so close to a profiled output on the same paper that sometimes I'm checking twice in a comparison. That essentially means that there is no need to know how to use color management, just use the standard driver and obtain near professional level output.

Now here is the shocker. At this point I have created profiles for the Epson R2880 but on the Photo setting. I'll say the output with my mixed pigment inkset on the Artisan 700/800/710/810 is superior when profiled as well. So thus far as best I can tell the Artisan beats the R2880 profiled against profiled.

The point is that these Epson AIO printers are little gems provided their mechanics hold up. Why? like Canon, they have cost cutting with no more stainless steel rods anymore like the current Canons. Also their paper feed is not as rugged as a rear feed, it uses a bottom feed cassette. For occasional photoprinting, they are pretty good. If one uses the correct pigment inkset that is matched to it....well what can I say. Superb.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Mikling

I enjoyed reading your report today, I too have gotten superb results from "these little gems"....

Comparing the results against printers that cost much more, the Artisan 700-810s are "Outstanding"!!!

Keep up the great work.

LJH

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have done some checking in the service manual and there is still a stainless steel carriage rod inside. It is placed where the housing covers it and it is not seen at all from the outside. So my comments on the rod issue stands corrected.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Interesting comparison as I do own both (and an Epson 620) and did some side by side comparisons.
As a cost comparison I took advantage of the Canon 9000 Mark ll's all over Craigslist/Ebay and purchased one locally for $225.
I purchased my Artisan 810 through Staples for $138. including a $50.00 instant rebate for recycling an older printer/fax.
Should I be looking for "custom" pigment mixed inks for my 810 in the future?

Thanks for your results/info/post.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Whether you want to use pigment or not is up to the user. Epson does not officially say it can use pigment but they would not say so because it could cannibalize higher model sales. Pigment does not produce as vibrant a print as dye ink. It produces more accurate color tones though and is better suited for images of subtlety and details. There is a time and place for both. For the Artisans I was pushing the envelope to see just what these printers can do and the results are surprising and illuminating.

Using pigment ink on these printers would make them much more costly to operate. If you are not a photographer with a critical eye or do not appreciate the aspects of pigment ink, then you should not be using it. The changeover from dye to pigment itself will consume about a 1/4 of the cartridge before the new ink is flushed through the lines. So on the Artisan it is pretty much a commitment that is long term. Changeovers are not as simple as changing cartridges as on normal printers.

The other thing is that proper pigment inks that allow the printer to print with normal colors is not commercially available as yet. What I have done is for my own use at this time but that might/will change.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is a comparison between two images. One was created using a custom ICC profile. The other was printed using the standard driver with NO COLOR MANAGEMENT. Remember the standard driver was meant to use dye ink but I am able to get around this aspect to a large degree. So the printer is using a pigment inkset totally foreign to its original design.
Which one is the profiled one? Is it close enough to allow novices to create archival photos with any application?

KLARIAHCOMPARE.jpg

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'd say it's close enough, I've seen photo labs that were more off than that. Although the second one looks like a better color rendition so I'd guess the second is profiled.