hp deskjet f4100

ifugao

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Good day to all. About 4 months ago I purchased a HP deskjet F4100 and since then the inroductory ink cartridges namely HP 21 & HP 22 have respectively run out of ink. The Hp 21 is for black ink and have refilled it once. On the second refill, what happened was at first it would print normally for the first 1/3 of the page (text only) then gradually the print quality degrades to a pale shade of blue on the remaining 2/3's. This is printing on normal mode. so I tried printing on "best" and it seemed to work, but only on the first page and the same problem of gradual fading occurs on succeeding pages over and over again.

I've noticed that whenever I print on black, I see marks on the lower portion of the paper too. These marks look like it came from either of the mechanical parts inside (maybe rollers).

I've also tried running the clean cycle several times (that I again had to refill the black cartridge). But when I tried printing a test page after the clean cycle, the black on the test page looks perfect, but once I start printing text docu's the same fading problem appears. Can someone help me about this? I tried searching the forums for solution regarding the 21 & 22 cartridges but since I'm from Manila, Philippines the cartridge may well be under a different name/code elsewhere. Btw, it says "introductory cartridge" on the label and is made in Singapore. Tia!

I've refilled the Hp 22 cartridge as well, I havent tried printing images as yet, since I am having problems with black right now.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have similar problem with an older deskjet, using the same inkjet cartridges (HP 21 & HP 22). Printed like 10 pages of black doc and everything was perfect. Then the problem appeared - some of the lines ware faded, some were printed only the half (the lower end of all the words in the line were missing). Ran 5-6 cleaning cycles - the same story. But since it was an old printer, I've decided not to look for a solution.

Now that I see the problem exist in newer Deskjets, I'm curious how the problem can be solved and why did it appear in the firs place.