How's that 3d printing doing?

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
So I been thinking about recycling some of my plastic that I take into dump, but I'm stopped by the price of the filament recycler nowadays. I also want to start 3d printing, but I know it can be expensive considering the price. Please convince me to save my money. It's so cool, but I don't want be like I'm not interested. I know I can make stuff but there will also mistakes and fixing those mix takes is not easy. Also space, something that is important.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I also want to start 3d printing, but I know it can be expensive considering the price. Please convince me to save my money. It's so cool, but I don't want be like I'm not interested. I know I can make stuff but there will also mistakes and fixing those mix takes is not easy. Also space, something that is important.
If you like the idea of 3D printing then go for it, it’s not as expensive as you might think, just start with something small and then when the bug really gets you, go bigger.;)

Machines can be as cheap as you like, and cheaper than most modern inkjet printers, and again PLA filament is just as cheap as a box of inkjet glossy paper and lasts much longer..

The only issue that might be a problem for you would be space, because the more space you can get the better, 3D printers are much more interesting than inkjets and can give you far more pleasure than you might think, and if you get into design then the world is your oyster, a printed map is flat but it can be round…

P.S. Mistakes only make you better at it..:lol:

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
And yes I have done my research before hand about slicing and curing so I'm good there.
And thanks for your input, this is all new to me but fun. So a person with more experience with this stuff is helpful. Many thanks! 🙏

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
And yes I have done my research before hand about slicing and curing so I'm good there.
And thanks for your input, this is all new to me but fun. So a person with more experience with this stuff is helpful. Many thanks! 🙏
Reading your comment about slicing and curing I thought I'd chime in. Slicing is using software to create a file that the machine can read, whereas curing usually refers to the process where resin hardens to a final solid print.

There are two broad types of 3D printer - FDM which uses filament and prints in layers and Resin printers which use liquid as the consumable. If you intend to start 3D printing I would strongly suggest that you start out with an FDM printer using filament to print which is not that expensive. Resin printing is much more expensive, messy and can be hazardous because of the chemicals. Of course there is some risks with the VOC's and fumes from FDM printers too but I suspect resin prinintg carries greater risks.

tecknobandit96

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 5520, Epson WF3520
Reading your comment about slicing and curing I thought I'd chime in. Slicing is using software to create a file that the machine can read, whereas curing usually refers to the process where resin hardens to a final solid print.

There are two broad types of 3D printer - FDM which uses filament and prints in layers and Resin printers which use liquid as the consumable. If you intend to start 3D printing I would strongly suggest that you start out with an FDM printer using filament to print which is not that expensive. Resin printing is much more expensive, messy and can be hazardous because of the chemicals. Of course there is some risks with the VOC's and fumes from FDM printers too but I suspect resin prinintg carries greater risks.
Yep, I've watched several YouTube about the process and what printers there are out there. I'm trying to think down the road of filament wise. I don't really have good transportation to get stuff for it. So I'm trying to buy wisely.