How to identify the part number of a printhead

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hello,... this may sound dumb, but it is a real problem for me. I work on so many printers and do a lot of cleaning I want to make 100% sure I'm putting the correct printhead back in the right printer. I know the part number of the printhead but I can not find that part number anywhere on the printhead. Any one have any ideas????

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The ip4000 printhead I have (the one I replaced due to unfixable clogging) has the printhead number (QY6-0049) stamped on one side. Don't know about other companies.

Steve W.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can always label each printhead with its number just when you remove it for the 1st time. So the next time will not be a problem.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Simon,... thanks for the easy suggestion, but I get so many printers that don't work, I'm sure they have been raped by others and no telling what kind of parts have been substituted. My point is there are all kinds of ways to get a new printhead,.. especially the ones that people buy on eBay. I don't care if they are in a Box that says it is an official Canon Brand New, never been used, it just got off the plain from Japan, Qy6-xxx-yyy, if it isn't marked someplace on the head, who knows what it is? It's the ones I get that don't work and display all kinds of error messages about the printhead. All I want to do is verify that it has the correct head in it now, or I know I have one that should or could be tested in that printer "NOW".

The other question is,... what is the probability of doing damage to a printer logic card or a printhead if the wrong printhead is placed in a printer and tested?

I've seen posts on this forum where guys have purchased a "New Printhead in a New Box", on eBay and when they tried it in their printer, it did not work. So was the printer bad, was the printhead bad, which one do they send back,.. who can they trust? When Canon puts a brand new printhead in a box and ships it to me, how do they know 100% that some little guy on the production line didn't make a mistake??????

Enough said. There has got to be another way. I'm sure Canon has a test fixture that when you plug in a printhead, it will read the part number out of the EEprom. I bet they have one of these tools at each Canon Service Center.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Trigger37

This is off topic but I will ask you as you seem to be an expert with printers.

I have a Epson RX530 and I am searching for the code or software to reset the waste tank warning when it occurs. I bought the printer in Australia and this model does not appear world wide. The SCC software does not support it but as you said

I bet they have one of these tools at each Canon Service Center.
I am hoping that someone like you would know of a method. When I read posts on this forum either Epson printers seldom breakdown or there is no support and they are just thrown away.

All this talk of replacing printheads and the fact they have limited lives makes owning an Epson whose printhead would be difficult to remove let alone replaceis a bit worrying

I cannot find an Epson forum and one repairer told me the only Epsons that actually broke was due to bad actions by its owners. That even clogged heads were the cause of missuse and could be cleaned with perseverance. He did tell me that resetting the warning was a trade secret.

Must be a secret society. Whats the nod on this.

Terry

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
InkMon,... Sorry for the long delay,... I never saw this last post. Anyway, what I here and have not confirmed is that every Epson printer has a Service program which is called Service Reset Program or something like that It is used by service personel to reset key functions of the printer when new parts are installed. One for sure is the Waste Ink full error. I have no more information at this time. I asked Epson for the program but they only pushed me to a Service Center.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To finally answer this question and close out this thread, I found the answer. All Canon Printhead are marked with their part number on one side of the printhead. The printhead is black and the part number is printed in some kind of black endelable ink. It is almost invisible. If you have some special lighting you can just see it. I would not be suprised if it took "Black light" in the dark to make it visible. I have check all kinds of printhead and it is there. You have to look close and use some side lighting or a 3x mag. to see it. End of story.