How do you test pigment ink?

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I saw in a previous post how to check if ink is pigment ink or dye ink.
I remember someone wanted the post removed, that probably why I can't find it anymore.

Anyway I ordered some pigment ink and I would like to test and be assured it is pigment and not dye ink.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It should be quite evident. Pigment is pretty much opaque and dye inks are transparent. It's easy.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pelermon said:
A few weeks ago, I saw in a previous post how to check if ink is pigment ink or dye ink.
I remember someone wanted the post removed, that probably why I can't find it anymore.
Why did the person want the message removed?

Besides opacity and visible solutes that may settle when pigment ink is left at rest long enough, you can try a quick and simple test of running water over part of a dried printed image/text for a few seconds. If the ink runs or the image fades then the ink may not be 100% pigment or is water soluble dye-based ink. Another possible indicator is that pigment ink costs more than dye-based ink.

The best thing you can do to safeguard your purchases is buy ink from known reputable retailers.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can also print a greyscale image on glossy photo paper that is not designed for pigment ink (like some of Epson's for DuraBRITE ink). After you give it a few minutes to dry, if it is pigment, you can wipe the dried ink right off the paper. Dye ink will soak into the surface instead of drying like a powder on the surface.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There was a question about a company supplying dye and claiming its pigment.
That company (A I) saw the post, made threats and wanted it removed.
The reason I was looking for the post is someone here posted a method of mixing the pigment
with a solvent and checking ph of something. (I had no need for the info at that time) --

I am interested in purchasing pigment ink for a iPF 8300 & 6300
I am looking at Topjlh in China, inkjetcarts, and INK2000. (none of these companies were in question.)
Topjlh looks to me to be the most advanced - But their pigment is more expensive, probably very high quality and worth it.
I purchased dye ink from inkjetcarts for my 9000MkII and you can't get a better color match. Two photos with Canon and inkjetcarts inks are identical.
I am interested in trying INK2000,s (Nano Inkjet) pigment along with another companies pigment.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
You can also print a greyscale image on glossy photo paper that is not designed for pigment ink (like some of Epson's for DuraBRITE ink). After you give it a few minutes to dry, if it is pigment, you can wipe the dried ink right off the paper. Dye ink will soak into the surface instead of drying like a powder on the surface.
Thanks - Thats the kind of information that is most helpful.
I would 1st put a sample ink smear directly on the paper before I put it in the machine.

(did you see that post I am talking about)

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
comparisionofdyeandpigmentink.jpg

Dye and Pigment comparison.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't recall seeing the post that got deleted.

I also now realize that you are talking about colored pigment inks so my previous comments have to be modified accordingly.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think this may be an issue in another forum. I had been lurking there for some time and I do recall a report about a company making claims of ultra-fine (to the point of being transparent I think) pigments while some forum members rejected these claims.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
For colors it's readily visible. But for black I use the egg yolk test. Get a piece of plastic and put a few drops of yellow in it, This will make a puddle of ink. Then place a drop of the ink in question in the yellow. A dye ink will immediately mix in and turn the yellow ink black. A pigment ink will just sit there in the middle and not mix at all. You can even try shaking it a bit, it won't mix.