Epson SC-P900 compatible cartridge chips: resettable or not ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
I am thinking to try some Epson SC-P900 aftermarket chips that can used as an alternative to original Epson chips. The only thing is that most items are specified to be one time chip.....

That is a bit confusing, because I had once bought refillable cartridges with one time chips for my Epson XP-15000 printer and these chip can be easily reset with a XP-15000 cartridge chip resetter that is specified to reset orginal Epson chips only, but the resetter does work on these aftermarket "one time" chip as well.

Has somebody experience with these types of "on time chips" because it is a bit confusing ? It could be the chips will be deactivated when it falls down a certain percentage where the chip will be deactivated, making them useless afterwards; but are still resettable when it does not drop below let's say 15%.

I am in contact with a manufacturer and he is not sure their one time chips are resettable or not. I hope to get news from him and he may provide me a sample chip to do some test with my resetter and see if it works or not.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have the same situation with refill cartridges and the chips for these cartridges for my new T2100 - T40D carts, I only can buy one-time chips to stick them onto refill cartridges, a resetter is not available to reset OEM cartridges, it is the same situation with the P900 as you describe it.

Let me report a situation which I discovered accidentally with my old WF-2010W, a very basic printer which is already on the market since about 2012. Refill cartridges are available either with auto-reset chips or with resettable chips and a resetter for a wide range of cartridges. OEM cartridges are considered as non-resettable, chips are one-time chips. It happend that I had 2 of the WF-2010W running at the same time - one with pigment inks and the other one with dye inks. I did a reset nevertheless on a OEM cartridge, and what happend with the status monitor open - I inserted the chip - the display jumped to the full - 100% level very shortly and then back to the level it had when I removed this cartridge. This means that the printer firmware recognizes this specific cartridge and remembers the previous ink level before the reset, this does not happen if I insert an arbitrary other cart, this does not happen, there is a cartridge ID in the game - a kind of serial number stored in the printer together with the last known ink level and comparing it with the actual chip level. Yes, I could use an OEM cart several times alternatively on two WF-2010W printers with the resetter.
When I do a reset on a OEM cart and insert it into another printer it is accepted with the ink level at full since this cartdidge was not inserted before into that 2nd printer. I continue to use the printers with these cartridges and try to do it again - I take the OEM cartridge and do a reset and insert it again in printer 1 which was running another cart with a resettable chip. This time the OEM cartridge was accepted , the original serial number was forgotten and apparently overwritten by the interim use of a 3rd party cart. The chips on the carts apparently carry as well a flag whether it is an OEM chip or a 3rd party chip. 3rd party chips didn't need this detour via a 2nd printer for a re-use.
If you now make the firmware together with the chips more sophisticated you come to the situation as with the P900 chips - they all carry as well a uniqe serial number, and the printer/firmware just does not forget them anymore and remembers such number at any time later. This makes a resetter useless since tracking the ink level and storing the serial number are diferent things.
Precisioncolors is/was selling some kind of adapterboard which emulates the chips and uses a set of unique serialnumbers which are used after every reset, and there is a number of fresh serialnumbers you buy with this adapterboard. There is no way for the end-user to get to the internal data of the chips and to readout and modify them, you would need an extra tool and software to do that .

I just see that precisioncolors is not offering inks or this adatper board for the P900 anymore, motherboards for the U.S. or Europe business regions are different , there is a chip resetter available at farbenwerk.com for original P900 cartridges

https://www.farbenwerk.com/resetter-p700-p900-originalpatrone

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have the EU-printer. I have already reset the original chips with the resetter for the P900 and now they are recognized as not Epson original ones; but the ink level has restored back to 100%. The waste ink chip has also been reset back to 100%: this chip is simpler and is immediately recognized as genuine.

When those compatible chips arrive I can print a few pages with the same colour to see if the ink level drops and then I can try to reset it with the resetter. Maybe a swap with the original chip is needed to accept the chip again. We will see how they behave and if they can be reset or not.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Today I received my set of aftermarket chips from a seller at aliexpress and I tried the LG cartridge and see if it works and when the level drops a bit I will try if this chip can be reset or not with the resetter.

The chip has a different design compared to the original chips:
the upper chip (LGY) is the original chip that I have exchanged for the aftermarket chip and left the design of the aftermarket chips:

IMG_20240903_201733.jpg

Here another comparison of the two types of chips:

IMG_20240903_201819.jpg

And the printer says YESSSSS (LGY):

IMG_20240903_201742.jpg

Now I will test the chip when it has drop a bit and I will use my resetter in the future to see if this chip can be reset or not.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It is interesting to see that my 3rd party chips for my T2100 cartridges look physically exactly the same as yours for the P900.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am looking for that small square plastic chip holder. One of my cartridges did not had that chip holder, making it impossible to use that refillable cartridge. Very stupid, not sure someone is capable to make a 3D printed version of that small chip holder.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This evening I printed 2 sheets of A4 with a solid area of light gray (about 2 ml's per sheet) to lower the level of the aftermarket chip for LGY and it does drop a bit like expected:

IMG_20240904_203443.jpg

After that I used my chip resetter to try to reset the chip. I tried a few times and the light of the resetter stayed red even after several times, so I was thinking the chip was not resettable with the resetter, but suddenly I use my torch to light the contacts a bit (because of the design it was very difficult to see where the borders of each contacts is exactly is) and I tried a final try....and it went GREEN.....Whow.....I had to insert into the printer to see if the level is restored again to 100%:

IMG_20240904_204156.jpg

The resetter does FUNCTION to reset thse aftermarket chips as well.....wel I tried to LGY only for the moment, but I presume if this works for this aftermarket LGY ink, I think it must work too for the other aftermarket P900 chips.

:weee:weee:weee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The resetter does FUNCTION to reset thse aftermarket chips as well.....wel I tried to LGY only for the moment, but I presume if this works for this aftermarket LGY ink, I think it must work too for the other aftermarket P900 chips.
Congratulations on your persistence, now you’ll have no issues for the foreseeable future.. happy printing..