Epson 1500w will not recognise any cartridges (refillable with reset button)

epsonprinter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W Epson B510
Hi,

I just recently was given a used epson 1500w with refillable carts.

When I power it on it doesn't recognise any of the carts???

It also has wires soldered to the cisc chips.

See the pictures. Tried holding both buttons and doesnt seem to anything?
IMG_9077.JPG
IMG_9078.JPGIMG_9077.JPGIMG_9078.JPGIMG_9079.JPGIMG_9080.JPGIMG_9081.JPG

Any suggestions would be great.

Also tried updating the printer firmware but it stops at 14%.

Any suggestions would be great.

Been told also I may have to replace the ink connector board ?

Thanks

If a video is needed please let me know!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have not seen such modification before; I would assume that it is supposed to do a reset on the cartridges without taking them out of the printhead carriage. I have seen other implementations using a separate battery for the cartridges connected to a pc-board along the carts but w/o modifications to the spring contacts. I wouldn't know at this time what to do; how did you get this printer ? Is it possible to get some information from the previous owner/user ? I would not try to do a firmware update at this time - has the firmware been modified to a 'chipless' version ?

epsonprinter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W Epson B510
Hi, Thanks for the reply and usefull info.

Yes that what I was thinking its a mod to not having to take them out of the printer. Never seen it before either. Also doesn't seem to have any battery attached to the wires maybe that is the issue? Maybe I just need to buy a new ciss system ? Not sure

Unfortunately no I cant contact the previous owner the printer was given to me (basically being thrown away so i thought i would have a go at getting it fixed).

No havent upgraded it to a chipless. From reading online its not supported on this model? If im wrong please confirm because that could be a solution?

Ill hold out on the firmware update for now. Anyway doesnt work.

Thanks!

E

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have seen several different offers for chipless firmware covering a diffferent range of models but I haven't checked for or specifically seen it for the 1500W . Do you have another set of cartridges - OEM or 3rd party which could be used for a test ? I would assume that it is a push button with the red top and a little switch with the white top. ??
There might be a particular position for the switch - for normal operation and for a reset mode - with a push on the button - but I just don't know. The idea would be to disconnect a cartridge temporarily - as if you would take out the cartridge for refill.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'd recommend trying a cheap set of compatible cartridges and try installing those to see if the printer recognises those first.

If it does then the problem is your CIS chip setup...

If the cartridges are all recognised right up until you install the last cartridge, then it's likely that some fluid or similar has gotten into the connection between the ribbon cable and the circuit board in the printhead and is shorting that out.

As to chipless firmware, that's something I haven't played with either but it has been around for the last 3+ years (if memory serves) and is worth a shot if you're able to update the firmware but again it's a buyer beware type scenario.

Good luck.