Disabling USB ports on Pixma Pro-1

SeaBee63

Newbie to Printing
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
4
Points
9
Printer Model
Canon iPF8300, Pixma Pro-1
I'm planning to implement a couple of these printers in a post-secondary education lab setting and need to disable, lock or block the USB ports to prevent un-chargable prints. They will be connected to the network and a PaperCut server to recover costs.

How difficult is it to remove the case far enough to unplug the USB internals? Is there a service manual or take-apart guide available somewhere?

If that's not an option, I can find a physical lock for the front "A" port and I could drill a couple holes and use a small padlock for the rear "B" port, but i'd rather not permanently modify the cases.
 
I know about those solutions for the front "A" port; my problem is with the "B" port on the back. There doesn't seem to be a 'lock' solution for them.
 
OK, Here is how to remove the rear panel from the printer ! :woot

You only need to remove the right hand panel, nothing else, note the position of the On/Off button,
Just slip a screwdriver under the position indicated.

Then release the 3 clips from the back panel (Right side only) where the USB plug is situated and your done.

You can glue a piece of plastic on the inside of the back cover to blank the USB socket, then reassemble; care should be taken for the repositioning of the On/Off button !
 

Attachments

Thanks for that info. Not only was I able to get that rear panel off, but while I was in there I was able to track down and disconnect the cable/connector for the front USB port.

My problems have found a solution within a couple of hours! Gotta love the internet! ...and a big THANKS to The Hat!
 
Back
Top