Desperately seeking advice and ideas on the Epson 3800

franzliszt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So it seem I find myself in a rather peculiar situation. I recently received a free (though somewhat malfunctioning) Epson Stylus Pro 3800 from my boss under the condition that if I can repair it, I can keep it. As you all might imagine I'm very excited at the prospect of being able to use this remarkable machine. However, there is one rather large caveat that thats preventing me from having it repaired.

The unit has no ink cartridges.

I spoke with 3 epson repair centers in my area and all of them refuse to touch it if there is no ink . So I figured I would try to find some "starter cartridges" but these are not manufactured by epson at all.

I spoke with Epson on the phone today and was instructed to examine the ink lines (the connection between the cartridges and the print head) to see if there was any left. To my relief the lines are still completely full of ink (which is approximately 30% of a full set of cartridges) Nevertheless I am still stuck with no cartridges and unable to find out what exactly is wrong with the printer

According to my boss it had "miscellaneous" print problems and error messages. Atlhough he never had the unit examined, he believes it is a motherboard issue.
So I was hoping some of you might be able to suggest any options which would be available to me. I would hate to spend 500 dollars on ink only to be told that the printer is either irreparable or very expensive to repair.

I should probably also add that I'm a student, and not able to spend a lot (I'd like to keep things relatively cheap.) Thanks so much.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Another clogged Epson printer that uses pigment ink. That ink that you see in the tubing may be dried out and clogged. Even if you do get this printer working, you may be spending a lot of time and money keeping it going. Why are you considering it?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
Could you ask your boss abou the empty cartridges ? If so, you can reuse the chips and buy refillable cartridges, but you will need the original chips. Are you from Germany ?

franzliszt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
@ghwellsjr Well I'm considering it because its an excellent printer that still costs over 1000 dollars. If i can get it repaired for a few hundred dollars, thats a bargain.

@Pharmaicist. Yeah I'm looking into finding empty/almost empty cartridges and using the chips from them. I'm not from Germany, though I did live there for a year and speak the language fluently.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
You might want to look after my coming extensive test of all available refillable cartridge systems for the Epson Pro 3800. It will take a few weeks time, because I am still waiting for one set of cartridges to be shipped. After doing the testing I will report back on this forum.

I think you will be very interested in the results too. I already can tell you I have now two systems tested (the one is far better than the other, but I can not reveal the results now).

Here is the link to watch for in the near future:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746