Canon Pro-200 printing horizontal lines

Gareth G

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-200
I have a Pixma Pro-200 which has, for the past month or so been printing black/grey lines horizontally across the page (as shown below). I have carried out a nozzle check but this shows no issues and, despite this, I have gone through the various maintenance/cleaning procedures, including manually cleaning the timing strip, but nothing seems to help. I use fotospeed papers, with custom profiles and have never had this problem before. I have contacted Canon and they suggested that it was not a malfunction but a problem with my settings. I did play around with this idea but nothing changed and I really don't see why the setting would suddenly be problematic. Could this be a print head issue? Or maybe worse? I don't want to spend £150 quid on a new print head only to find that the printer is a write off. Any thoughts welcome.

IMG_2197.jpg
IMG_2198.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any thoughts welcome.
A question for you…

Are you using OEM carts and inks or are you refilling, or using compatable 3rd party inks..

Because this is a cartridge issue and I suspect its caused by ink starvation..

Gareth G

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-200
A question for you…

Are you using OEM carts and inks or are you refilling, or using compatable 3rd party inks..

Because this is a cartridge issue and I suspect its caused by ink starvation..
Hi, I’m using only Canon ink but I may have pushed the limit on the blank cartridge before replacing. However, I have since replaced the cartridge but the problem persists. Could this have caused permanent damage? If so, will replacing the head fix it?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If so, will replacing the head fix it?
I wouldn’t go that far !
Since you have replaced the offending cart, that is usually enough to clear up the problem by itself, but you could if you wish remove and soak the print head in warm water with a dash of Fairy washing up liquid for a while, but remember to dry it thoroughly before putting it back in the printer..

It can take a bit of time to work out an issue like yours, lots of patients can sometimes help, frustration needs to be controlled, try a bit of useless printing to clean the heads..

Gareth G

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-200
I wouldn’t go that far !
Since you have replaced the offending cart, that is usually enough to clear up the problem by itself, but you could if you wish remove and soak the print head in warm water with a dash of Fairy washing up liquid for a while, but remember to dry it thoroughly before putting it back in the printer..

It can take a bit of time to work out an issue like yours, lots of patients can sometimes help, frustration needs to be controlled, try a bit of useless printing to clean the heads..
Hi - thanks for that - I had been thinking that cleaning the head might be necessary but was too nervous about handling it. Your reply gave me the courage to go ahead :) Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference. The black/grey lines are still there and I'm anyway doubtful on the ink starvation diagnosis as I replaced the emptying cartridge several weeks ago. I have to say, I've been trying to control my frustration with this printer for a while now, as I've also had a persistent colour cast issue with it in black & whites. I'm moving towards getting rid of it and replacing it with the Epson equivalent :-(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm moving towards getting rid of it and replacing it with the Epson equivalent :-(
That’s a shame, but if that is what you want to do, then good luck with your new purchase..

P.S. it will clean up the more you use it..

Gareth G

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-200
Hi Mr. Hat - thanks, but I don't want to give up just yet. I'm not convinced that the problem will lessen with use as it's been like this for a few months now with no sign of abating. Any more ideas would be welcome.