Can non-OEM refills damage my printer ?

Usjes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have read warnings from HP that using HP cartridges re-filled with generic ink, can not only result in poor print quality but also damage my printer. Can this be true? I can believe that a generic ink could clog up a cartridge and give poor quality but I can't see how it could affect the printer itself.My understanding is that the connection between the printer and the cartridge is purely via the electrical contacts, so no matter how messed up the cartridge becomes if I just remove the cartridge and replace it with a genuine OEM one then printing should be fine. Is this true? For reference my printer is a HP PSC750 but I would assume the same is true of all injets from all manufacturers ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If an inkjet printer has a print head that is separate from the ink tanks, then, yes, it is quite possible to ruin the print head with ink of unknown quality or properties. The manufacturer may consider the print head as part of the printer. Additionally, it is quite possible to clog the purge unit of the printer with ink of unknown quality or properties.

Wayne

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Usjes said:
Hi,

I have read warnings from HP that using HP cartridges re-filled with generic ink, can not only result in poor print quality but also damage my printer. Can this be true? I can believe that a generic ink could clog up a cartridge and give poor quality but I can't see how it could affect the printer itself.My understanding is that the connection between the printer and the cartridge is purely via the electrical contacts, so no matter how messed up the cartridge becomes if I just remove the cartridge and replace it with a genuine OEM one then printing should be fine. Is this true? For reference my printer is a HP PSC750 but I would assume the same is true of all injets from all manufacturers ?

Thanks,

Usjes.
There are aftermarket inks to be used for refilling cartridges that are formulated specifically for each brand and model of printer. I don't know if your reference to "generic ink" is one of the specifically formulated inks or truly a generic that is sold to be used in all printers. I've never used generic inks, and i've read that they can be a problem in some printers. I've always stayed with inks specifically formulated for my printers. I don't know anything about refilling HP cartridges, but there are people on this forum that have done so very successfully. There may also be commercially refilled HP carts that you can purchase. Common wisdom has been that it is best to do your own refilling as you will then know the quality of the inks. Hopefully, someone with the same printer that you are using can chime in with more information.

Usjes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Usjes said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Usjes.
There are aftermarket inks to be used for refilling cartridges that are formulated specifically for each brand and model of printer. I don't know if your reference to "generic ink" is one of the specifically formulated inks or truly a generic that is sold to be used in all printers. I've never used generic inks, and i've read that they can be a problem in some printers. I've always stayed with inks specifically formulated for my printers. I don't know anything about refilling HP cartridges, but there are people on this forum that have done so very successfully. There may also be commercially refilled HP carts that you can purchase. Common wisdom has been that it is best to do your own refilling as you will then know the quality of the inks. Hopefully, someone with the same printer that you are using can chime in with more information.
Hi fotofreek,

When I say 'generic ink', I mean the commercially available refilled cartridges which are marketed as 'compatible' with my specific printer. I realize however that this offers no guarantee of quality which is why my question is about the relationship between the printer and the cartridge. For my printer, the printing nozzles are part of the cart. and therefore I believe the only connection between the printer and the cart. are the electrical contacts; so no matter how badly sub-standard ink might block up the nozzles or otherwise damage the cart. if I then replace it with an OEM cart. it should then be good as new, shouldn't it ? This is what I believe but given the HP warning I have seen I'm just wondering if it is true or if I have missed something?
Thanks,

Usjes.

Usjes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
turbguy said:
If an inkjet printer has a print head that is separate from the ink tanks, then, yes, it is quite possible to ruin the print head with ink of unknown quality or properties. The manufacturer may consider the print head as part of the printer. Additionally, it is quite possible to clog the purge unit of the printer with ink of unknown quality or properties.

Wayne
Hi turbguy,

For my printer I believe the print head is part of the cartridge and I would have assumed this was the case for most inkjets, is this not the case? What is this 'purge unit' you refer to?

Thanks,

Usjes.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Printheads that develop "electrical problems" have been know to cause failures in the internal electronics in the printer.

All inkjet printers have an internal mechanism to clean the printhead(s), that we call "purge units". One of it's functions is to PULL ink from the cart during cleaning while resting on the "parking pad" where the printhead stops when idle, and deposit the wasted (purged) ink into an absorber pad at the bottom of the printer. This mechanism can clog, and then your printer will eventually stop printing properly.

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Also, many inkjet printers have separate printheads and ink "tanks". This is typically true of higher end printers. The tank(s) is replaced (the OEM still may call it a cartridge) when ink goes low. Many low end HP's (like yours) have the printheads and tanks combined, which will minimize printing issues, but makes new carts higher priced.

Wayne

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You have to be careful with the aftermarket cartridges. If they are "Re-manufactured" cartridges then they should be no different from doing it your self with good quality ink, If they say "Compatible" cartridges then this a hole new ball game. Compatibles are cheap knock-offs and are normally poor quality, they can leak from the print head and the factory in china where they come from normally do not fill them to the correct ink levels. These cartridges can damage your printer just because of all the ink that can leak out and i have seen many with ink damage in the past.

kevin.thompson

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am no expert in this, but i had cartridges ruined after 3 refills with generic ink (and by that I mean not specifically designed for certain models). I have one of the HP multifunction printers, which fortunately did not get damaged in the process, but i certainly did not enjoy having to buy new original cartridges 2 months after i bought my printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kevin.thompson said:
I am no expert in this, but i had cartridges ruined after 3 refills with generic ink (and by that I mean not specifically designed for certain models). I have one of the HP multifunction printers, which fortunately did not get damaged in the process, but i certainly did not enjoy having to buy new original cartridges 2 months after i bought my printer.
There is quite a lot on refilling HP cartridges properly and correctly on this forum.

It sounds like you had a go but didnt quite get the hang of it first time,
more importantly you still want to despite your initial set backs.

I would suggest you read through some of these posts and familiarise yourself with the type of cartridge you have
before you try again, if need be please ask for the help you need and if we can we will.

You can also buy compatible filled cartridges at much lower prices than HP cartridges
if you dont want go down the refill route again, but refilling is the much cheaper option.

Its only a matter of mastering the technique for your type of cartridge and
then you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Welcome to refilling.. :)