Already owned L1800 (change inks in it) or sell it and buy L8180 (8550)

AmaDeuSbg

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSONS: L1300, L805,L850,L1800
Hello,

I've read a lot of topics regarding ink changing and the current most durable inks but wanted to make sure I got everything right before I do something. Thanks to Ink stained Fingers and his really useful posts I was left with the impression that currently there are 3 best types of ink I can use in the L1800 (106, 114 and the T54C).

There is close to none price difference in my country between the 114 and T54C (a little less than 2$) and I was left with the impression that the T54C are the best inks I can use (presumably also in the L1800 because it uses dye inks). In terms of budget solution I saw the 106 inks are best and I can use the T54C inks instead for the LM and LC. 106 is like 14$ and T54C is like 20$ (and the 114 is like 19$) per bottle in my country and personally I don't print so often so 1 set of inks probably goes on for about an year so I don't mind even putting the whole T54C in the L1800 if it will be worth it in terms of longevity and color reproduction (of course keeping in mind I use oem and not third party papers). From what I've read (I hope I read it right) 106 and 114 inks are similar in color reproduction but I do not seem to recall if I read a post in comparison to the T54C. Will the extra cost of the T54C be worth it (actually visible in a print) or I should just use the 106 inks and the LC and LM from the T54C (I generally prefer to stay away from the 107 inks due to its weak black). I would prefer if possible to get the blackest black and the reddest red haha.

Funny thing is I also own a L805 and L850 and the black in those printers (although the ink is the same like the L1800) is darker/richer compared to the L1800 which is (?) probably due to the way the driver for the model mix the inks? This lead me to think about changing the inks in the L1800 or even if it will be better for the overall printing result to sell the L1800 that I own and just buy a L8550 (8180) for example. Do you think that the L1800 will be limited as a performance compared to the 8180 if I change its inks ? (I am aware for the greyscale power of the 8180 but I am referring to just regular non black and white images). I shall note that the L1800 is relatively new (only 1300 pages printed and like 1/3 are nozzle checks), not to mention that I really like the idea to vent out to external waste ink in future (because the printer is not really used for borderless and this will practically make it "immortal" haha). I am not really keen on the thick media option on the 8180, might use it, might not so this is not a decision maker for me.

Another thing I got in my mind was just to change the inks in the L1800 with for example 106 set + LC LC from T54C and just save up for P900 and use the L1800 for non expensive low profit jobs and P900 for something more premium related. What is stopping me is that even now, while I use the L1800 with its weak 673 inks, I get pretty decent results when I make a custom ICC for the different papers I use and I am not really sure if I will have any real jobs for the P900 (excluding of course the great A2+ size) - but I guess that quality wise I do not have any other choice rather than the P900 for A2+ size (and probably the original costly inks?). Thought about the Inktec inks but to be honest I've had some issues initially with the L1800 on its first priming and had to send it for repair because it did not prime well 3 of the colors (they ended changing the head, tubes, pump etc), so I will be really scared to put non oem ink in it before the warranty expires.

Something I should probably note is that I am using a Colormunki to make my own ICC profiles. Also for B&W I should note that using Printfab I did some really good (in my opinion) B&W profiles even for the L1800.

Thanks to everyone that took time to read my post, to summarize:
1) What are the best black inks (will it be any real visible difference in the short term like an year or on sun exposure - most likely laminated print) between the 106 and 114 and T54C

2) Will the result from changing the inks in the L1800 compare to the L8180 printer with it stock inks (again of course not comparing the B&W)

Thank you again for your time.

Best Wishes and have a lovely night

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I on ly can say from all recent tests with the 106, 114 and T54C inks that their performance is pretty close, and may vary when you select another paper type, it's never the ink alone but must be viewed together with the paper in a particular test - e.g. cast coated papers lower the overall longevity performance. The ET-7750 is phased out since a while, I have seen some sales actions - discounts for a short period, some dealers appear to get rid of their 106 inventory; Epson will keep the 106 ink available for a while but supply may take a little bit longer from a central Epson depot. I would consider the T54C ink pricing stable for quite a while since the photostation printers D500 etc are not primarily a consumer product.
Considering pro's and con's vs. a P900 makes a comparison pretty difficult , I'm not familiar with the print output
of a P900 at all. I'm happy enough with the SC-T2100 as a compromise printer - refill and 24" large format and low cost.

I cannot comment on B/W performance, and this in connection with PrintFab, that's a pretty complex subject on its own.

Latest posts