Stripes in Print Test, Deep Cleaning and Head alignment doesn't help

Tim Mackey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Hi, I recently noticed banding showing up in my prints, and after printing a nozzle check, I found that there was considerable banding in the Photo-Magenta. After a couple regular cleaning cycles, and 4 or 5 deep cleaning cycles, the result is virtually unchanged (maybe 5% improved). I also ran a printer head alignment in case that had something to do with the problem, but it didn't help either. I'm unsure what the problem is, and I'm wondering what to do next. At the moment I don't want to run more cleaning cycles, because it seems that all they are accomplishing is wasting ink and filling up my waste ink reservoir.

The printer I'm using is a Canon Pro-100, and I purchased it new at the end of December (less than 6 months ago). I've been using refill ink from Precision Colors, with Original Canon cartridges that I also bought from Precision Colors. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the cartridges are top-filled. I use the printer fairly infrequently (several times a month), mostly for printing images, and I just filled the cartridges for the second time yesterday. This problem began at least a couple weeks ago, but I didn't recognize what it was until I ran a print test yesterday after having refilled the cartridges.

I'm attaching a scan of my nozzle check pattern. The first image shows all of the colors, and the second shows a closeup of just the Photo Magenta. Ignore the slight banding in the Grey—it showed up for a couple prints but then went away.

Let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem!

Printer-Test.jpg
Printer-Test-Photo-Magenta.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I would say you may have some clogged nozzles on the PM.

It would help to post a scan of a service test print. I don't know how to "force" one out, but perhaps someone else here does??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To produce this test print you will have to let the printer enter service mode and when it has entered service mode you need to run one of the service tools to execute the test print. I recommend the newest available version, V3400.

The procedure for entering the service mode is found here. A link to download the service tools is provided by @Tudor and found here , but sadly seems to no longer work. Instead a Russian site offers the V3400 of the service tool here. Sadly the download link doesn't work with a Google translation, but the link to click is the "ST - V3400" in the first post. I just downloaded the service tool and neither AVG Internet Security nor Malwarebytes Antimalware found any threats in the download, and the downloaded service tool works perfectly.

After the printer has entered service mode, start the service tool by double clicking the downloaded and unpacked service tool exe file. As described in the first link the button to click in the service tool is the "Test Print" button. This will produce the desired extended nozzle check. After having produced the test print, leave the service mode by turning the printer off by using the printer's on/off button. After that close the service tool. Don't use any other service tool functions for now. The service tools are powerful tools that could render your printer useless if not used properly, so beware of using any other functions than the "Test Print".

Use at your own risk. I recommend studying this (lengthy) thread before use.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
This MAY be of assistance, I had the same problem a week ago, its winter and humid so I am guessing that VM (loaded with pigment) had settled at an inappropriate spot. I had 50% + blocked nozzles (yep! 3880!! ??)

So, having decided after nozzle check AUTO #2 and head alignment check, that sedimentation was the MOST likely culprit I removed the offending cart (I also refill but with Cone inks) gave it a gentle rocking side to side, then backwards and forwards and replaced it after giving the outlet a gentle wipe with a lint free paper wiper. Waited an eternity (well at leas 30 seconds) then printed another AUTO nozzle check (NOTE on the Epson that initiates a head clean). That cleared all but 3 nozzles!
I then reverted to manual nozzle check and ran 6x more. NO IMPROVEMENT. :th

REMOVED the offending Cart grasped it firmly, after wrapping it in a good quantity of absorbent paper towel, and gave it a DAMN good shaking.....(Cursing and seething - OPTIONAL ) :somad

Replaced it and parked the head, leaving the machine ON overnight to soak (and contemplate the horror of ANOTHER shaking!!)

Next morning fired her up and printed a standard Test image - 100%
Did a manual nozzle check - 100%
Did a head alignment - 100%

:ya

Cheers,

Andrew

Tim Mackey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks for your help, guys. Here's a scan of the service test print.

EDIT: The first file I posted was cropped off because my paper was too small. Reprinted and rescanned with larger paper.

Service Mode Printer Test.jpg

Here's a link to a higher quality image: http://cl.ly/image/2a0o2B431O3b

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your problem looks serious enough to have damaged your print head because if and when you first spot an issue like poor output you should not attempt to print any more photos or test prints till you can resolve the problem first. (Excluding Nozzles Check)

Head alignments and repeated deep head cleaning are not necessary and won't help either, your problem is a very slight nozzle clog or failure of the print nozzles on the PM side of the heads.

There are two things I reckon you can do at this stage, first try soaking the head in warm water and washing up liquid brand (Fairy/Dreft) for 24 hours then afterwards rinsing it under running water, make sure to thoroughly dry it in a warm place for an hour or two.

Now try popping the head back into the printer then fitting all the cartridges and letting the printer do it’s start-up maintenance, when the printer has finished just run a nozzle print and check it with your previous nozzle print and hopefully it will have improved 100% if not then contact Canon for a replacement head which should be still under guarantee..

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
As @3dogs posted, a poorly feeding cartridge (too much air in the lower sponge) can cause this type of problem. Do you have another PM cartridge to try?

Tim Mackey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
@Grandad35 & @3dogs, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, trying with a fresh PM cartridge didn't help.

@The Hat, I will try soaking the printhead for the next 24 hours and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

I'm glad that I'm still under warrantee, hopefully I won't have to go that route, though. If I do have to send it in for replacement, will Canon give me any problems for having used non-OEM ink? Should I flush the cartridge before I send it?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
DO NOT give Canon any evidence that you used anything but genuine Canon OEM inks in unmodified carts, or they may reject the warranty claim. Stay in touch over the telephone only on their 800 number . They will probably send you a replacement print head. Don't even indicate you use this or any other forum.

Playing dumb is your best friend in this situation.

That said, I wonder if we have discovered a "PM ink gelling" issue, similar to the yellow? Is Canon adding something to the CL42 carts to foil our refilling efforts?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Good advice from turgby!
Getting a new printhead this way would be like a gift.
And like him I am also curious about the issues of this new cli-42 ink canon have mixed for us...
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...n-cli-42-carts-the-challenge.8788/#post-71008

Here are my additional hints regarding clogged print heads:
- If you have still the oem cartridges you can try them. Original ink is known for the best cleaning effect. I don't know if you can put only one original PM to the other refilled carts with pc-ink, perhaps it is better to swap all, because canon and pc-ink don't mix good ... if you want a replacement from canon you should have put the oem carts in the printer anyway...
- Or you can refill one or more cartridges with cleaning solution and do the internal cleaning with them. This cleaning set can be used in future too.
- The external cleaning can be done in a cup of water, but also on wet paper towels (dripping water or cleaning solution from above on the inlets and change the towels until there is only clear water coming oot of the nozzles)
- and like others have already said: no more printing until the nozzle check is flawless! Printing with stripes means some nozzles are printing without ink and will be damaged by overheating sooner or later.