CONCENTRATED AMMONIA - now there's a thing

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Was very impressed with Mikling's new refilling videos. Well done Mike. Expect a call from the academy!

Having been using my original set of CLI-42 carts for about 18 months decided it is time to flush and purge them. Especially as the lower sponge seems to contain some of the dreaded dry ink flakes.

Now here's the thing - Have been to 3 pharmacies asking for CONCENTRATED AMMONIA. They all shake their heads and tell me it is not stocked. They have all sorts of commercial solutions with the name ammonia, that seem to contain all sort s of chemicals including scents, colourants and goodness know what else. I am assuming they are not suitable.

My question!
A) Is there any other name I should us, or alternative product? I am in a modern North American urban area of over a million people so something should be available.

B) is there an acceptable alternative?

C) IS the use of Ammonia merely for cosmetic reasons to give a pristine white sponge, and could I ignore the Ammonia? For example my CYAN CART is a feint blue tint after flushing with water and Windex.

Suplementary Question: Also having trouble locating "propylene glycol". Picked up something called GLYCERIN USP. Would this be the same?

AND THE DISCLAIMER: I am probably being somewhat anal about this and not trying to emulate another poster who must remain anonymous. Joe is probably bristling at my comments. To paraphrase his advice to aforementioned previous poster. "This is NOT rocket science. Don't over-think it."

Thanks for any guidance

Roy Sletcher

NOTE to Martin and Mike - Might be a commercial opportunity selling cleaning purging concentrate.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Now here's the thing - Have been to 3 pharmacies asking for CONCENTRATED AMMONIA. They all shake their heads and tell me it is not stocked. They have all sorts of commercial solutions with the name ammonia, that seem to contain all sort s of chemicals including scents, colourants and goodness know what else. I am assuming they are not suitable.
I don't know what concentration of ammonia you are thinking of using, let alone the appropriateness, but if you dilute the ammonia in water then all you need to do is add more ammonia and use less water solute.

If possible, I would use substances that have the fewest additives possible. Purity over convenience where possible to prevent unintended complications.

Suplementary Question: Also having trouble locating "propylene glycol". Picked up something called GLYCERIN USP. Would this be the same?
Glycerin is an appropriate substitute for use in Pharmacist's solution.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you try your local hardware store that would be the best place to get it or the shopping Mall when you helping your misses with the groceries, they may also stock it (Household Ammonia) and Propylene Glycol can be picked up in any good organic food store.

Ammonia.PNG

Roy,I will let you find your own source of distilled water all by yourself.. :p

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
No idea about Canada but Ammonia here in the UK you will find easier at Garden Centres and Places which sell aquariums and fish, may be worth trying similar stores in Canada.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Bear in mind that Ammonia (NH3) is a gas at room temperatures. It hydrates with water to form Ammonium Hydroxide.

NH3 boils at −33.34 °C (−28.012 °F) at a pressure of one atmosphere, so the liquid must be stored under pressure or at low temperature. Household ammonia or ammonium hydroxide is a solution of NH3 in water. The concentration of such solutions is measured in units of the Baumé scale (density), with 26 degrees baumé (about 30% (by weight) ammonia at 15.5 °C or 59.9 °F) being the typical high-concentration commercial product.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Roy, the OEM CLI42 carts tend to not release the ink off the sponge as easily as the Pro9000. I have found that Windex with Ammonia will work if you let it soak a bit.

Since you live in Ottawa, the glass cleaner at Dollarama will work as well as Windex with Ammonia. A very large bottle of the stuff will cost less than a toonie. So use it to flush as well and then chase it out with Ottawa's finest water afterwards. This is all that is necessary without driving around to find ammonia etc. You'll probably want to keep a jug of the stuff handy as a part of your toolkit. For the cost involved, it's probably cheaper than mixing your own. The same stuff can be used for soaking printheads etc.

When at Dollarama, look for the can of compressed air as well, it is handy to blow dry contacts...another item that is part of the basic inkjet toolkit for refillers. This air is a lot less expensive than the stuff certified for camera sensors etc.which is overkill for the printhead contact plate.

If you watched video #2, you'll see that ink will wick across very nicely if it has the correct physical properties. The carts used were fully dried inside a dehumidifier and there was no problem. My experience shows that conditioning formula is not necessary when the properties of the incoming ink is appropriate. I suspect, the remaining glycol might actually be too conducive to allowing the ink to rapidly fill the sponge with less fill control. Others can comment better on with and without conditioning formula but I have never had a need for it.

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Roy, the OEM CLI42 carts tend to not release the ink off the sponge as easily as the Pro9000. I have found that Windex with Ammonia will work if you let it soak a bit.

Since you live in Ottawa, the glass cleaner at Dollarama will work as well as Windex with Ammonia. A very large bottle of the stuff will cost less than a toonie. So use it to flush as well and then chase it out with Ottawa's finest water afterwards. This is all that is necessary without driving around to find ammonia etc. You'll probably want to keep a jug of the stuff handy as a part of your toolkit. For the cost involved, it's probably cheaper than mixing your own. The same stuff can be used for soaking printheads etc.

When at Dollarama, look for the can of compressed air as well, it is handy to blow dry contacts...another item that is part of the basic inkjet toolkit for refillers. This air is a lot less expensive than the stuff certified for camera sensors etc.which is overkill for the printhead contact plate.

If you watched video #2, you'll see that ink will wick across very nicely if it has the correct physical properties. The carts used were fully dried inside a dehumidifier and there was no problem. My experience shows that conditioning formula is not necessary when the properties of the incoming ink is appropriate. I suspect, the remaining glycol might actually be too conducive to allowing the ink to rapidly fill the sponge with less fill control. Others can comment better on with and without conditioning formula but I have never had a need for it.

Thanks Mike, and others who replied.

Will go with Mike's simple solution at this stage. Dollarama cleaner and no conditioning formula.

The devil is in the details, and simplicity is its own recommendation.

Have just cleaned 3 carts including cyan which now has NEARLY pristine white sponges.

Don't have a dehumidifier so will wick and let them dry thoroughly before refilling for next cart change in a couple of weeks.

I am not a techy guy, so can't thank participants enough for all the help and guidance. Especially in view of the fact that I am mostly unable to contribute in a meaningful way to technical discussions.

Roy S.